Name:
Location: New Zealand

Approaching mid-life crisis

  • Betfair
  • Cricinfo
  • Planet Rugby
  • ATP Tennis
  • WTA Tennis
  • NZ Herald
  • Sportsfreak
  • Maptalk
  • Ult Betting Forum
  • Punt.com
  • Blogging It Real (NZ)
  • RugbyMan (UK)
  • Sportolysis (IND)
  • KiwiHerald
  • Michal Glowacki
  • Fraser Mills
  • 18 July 2007

    Recharging

    Sorry for the lack of posts - to be honest currently I am suffering from a severe case of lack of motivation to do anything, including posting here.

    Part of the problem is I'm a sports addict, and the internet (and Sky TV) makes it far too easy to watch sport where my time would be far more productive concentrating on what I earn my living from. The last week shows how easy it is to be distracted - from following the NZ team at the Junior World Orienteering Championships (and didn't they do well), watching Le Tour now they've reached the mountains and today I can watch over the internet the final day of the World Series of Poker where some lucky so-and-so will win over US$8 million.

    Some time ago I identified that one of the biggest impediments to earning a living from sports betting was watching too much sport for fun. Which lately is what I've been doing! And so work calls from tomorrow night with the first England India cricket test and already I'm struggling for the motivation to go back onto night shift for five days; well, nights.

    I think I need to start a self-help group - Sports Watchers Anonymous.

    Back in Friday with a rugby test preview. The SPARC rant will have to wait.

    P.S. Tim - I have no idea about the Air NZ Cup. I only watch it for fun :-) Seriously, it's not worth my time to invest in the competition as I'd have to bet on it through the NZ TAB. And therein lies a problem for me - being a self-employed sports better who is honest with the IRD I have a little problem called GST. If I earn money from overseas it is zero rated for GST purposes; yet if I bet through the NZ TAB and collect I'd have to pay 12.5% GST (and then income tax). So basically the NZ TAB is the last place on earth I'd place a bet with as it potentially costs me an extra 12.5%, therefore a domestic rugby competition is way down the list of priorities (like, last) when it comes to choosing what to bet on.

    Labels:

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I find the Air NZ cup the most profitable competition as there is less bookies around to guide the market.

    centrebet follow the tab(with smaller profit margins). There goes your tax answer also maybe?

    Centrebet has Wellington at 8 compared to the TAB's 5... bit of value there (the two teams they dont play in the round robin are Auck and Southland which is a bonus)

    - Tim

    1:18 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home