Name:
Location: New Zealand

Approaching mid-life crisis

  • Betfair
  • Cricinfo
  • Planet Rugby
  • ATP Tennis
  • WTA Tennis
  • NZ Herald
  • Sportsfreak
  • Maptalk
  • Ult Betting Forum
  • Punt.com
  • Blogging It Real (NZ)
  • RugbyMan (UK)
  • Sportolysis (IND)
  • KiwiHerald
  • Michal Glowacki
  • Fraser Mills
  • 24 October 2006

    Don't ask

    about the poker. Oh OK if you insist. One of the first lessons in poker life is Ace-rag is a sh!t hand and quite why I decided to raise with the A and 2 of spades 45 minutes into yesterday's tournie is anybody's guess - I'll put it down to a "brain explosion" (and I won't use the excuse they were suited). After getting one call from a tricky aggressive Asian guy who we'll call Choon (because that's his name), I'm overjoyed to see a flop of AA8 (two hearts) and bet the pot. Well fk me Choon raises. You're on a flush draw buddy, you've got the King of Hearts so I push all my chips in the middle and get an instacall. Oops. I was right, he did have the King of hearts but also the Ace of fkg Clubs and I had the pleasure of being the first knocked out (although I had survived the weekend elimination round).

    Well there's only one thing to do and that is get back on the horse, right? So this morning deep into a tournie and relatively shortstacked, some bigstack on the button raises after everyone's folded and I look down at A and 4 spades - you're stealing buddy, I push, get an instacall and am up against ... what a surprise Ace King.

    OK one more - onto my bread-and-butter single table tournies (9 players) and an unusually tight and cautious group see 7 still in when the pressure goes on. Dealt AK in the big blind (last to act), bigstack in the small blind raises - I've got you sucker, I push, he calls and has AJ. Finally. Of course the cards that come out include a 7, 8, 9 and 10. As I've said before, all good character-building stuff. Fuck it.

    If I've offended someone upstairs, so has the Kiwi Rugby League team. A new definition of heartbreak has been found, but I'm quite glad in a way the Aussies won as I hate watching a $1.13 shot lose with none of my money on the underdog (never let patriotism get in the way of making money).

    And talking about patriotism, this piece in this morning's Herald made me even more cranky. Perhaps my ex-flatmate who is now a journalism student can explain to me how the "revelation" that Crowded House was an Australian band - something that got sorted out when they were battling George Michael and Diana Ross for the No.1 spot on the US Charts with "Don't Dream It's Over" 10 years ago - fits the definition of "news", which according to www.dictionary.com is "a report of a recent event; intelligence; information". There is nothing recent, intelligent or even informative in that piece of tripe.

    And if you're reading this for info on the cricket (South Africa v Pakistan) tonight, it will revert back to the usual Indian pitch trend. Team batting first scores a shitload of runs and is $1.20 to win the game. Team batting second scores a shitload of runs plus one and I make some money.

    Labels: ,

    2 Comments:

    Blogger XxX said...

    We covered a number of definitions of what news is and is not on my journalism course. I think the best description in this case is the one given by veteran New Zealand journalist Geoff Black: "News is what the chief reporter says it is."

    3:31 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Robz,

    1. Don't Dream it's Over was in the charts 20 years ago.

    2. It's South Africa v Sri Lanka tonight. We play Pakistan tomorrow night. I know, it's a badly organised draw.

    Sportsfreak.

    5:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home