Name:
Location: New Zealand

Approaching mid-life crisis

  • Betfair
  • Cricinfo
  • Planet Rugby
  • ATP Tennis
  • WTA Tennis
  • NZ Herald
  • Sportsfreak
  • Maptalk
  • Ult Betting Forum
  • Punt.com
  • Blogging It Real (NZ)
  • RugbyMan (UK)
  • Sportolysis (IND)
  • KiwiHerald
  • Michal Glowacki
  • Fraser Mills
  • 01 June 2006

    Maori Eligibility

    One of the problems growing old is seeing the same things come up time and time again - no, I'm not talking about when the NZ Orienteering Nationals should be held, but the eligibility for the NZ Maori rugby team.

    The latest to have a potshot is NSW's Morgan Turinui, himself of Maori ancestry. Boring - it's really quite easy. As our treaty partners tell us, if you think you're Maori, you are Maori. Whether you have half, quarter, or even one-sixtyfourth Maori blood in you is beside the point.

    Case in point my soon-to-be stepchildren. Both are born to a part-Maori mother and a father from the iwi of Ngati Pakeha. If I call my 10-y.o. stepdaughter Maori I'll get a kick in the shins. If I call my 12-y.o. stepson Pakeha I'll get a kick in a place a little higher than the shins.

    God it must have been a slow news day for the media to drag this one out again.

    Labels:

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home